Thursday, January 9, 2014

Twiddling Thumbs

"That's the trouble with those youth today," began the older gentlemen sitting in the white rocking chair on display outside of the Cracker Barrel. "They've got no purpose, so they sit and twiddle their thumbs with frowns on their faces," He croaked, twiddling his wrinkled thumbs with a frown on his face. The look was not becoming and this unsettled something in me.

Now here is where I find a bit of irony in his words.  I, one of "those youth" the man was speaking of, am not even sure of how to twiddle my thumbs. I believe, what he meant, however, if I may take the liberty in saying so, is that many young people don't have much to wake up for every day. That is true. There is the ordinary routine of a high-schooler, which we've all been through and know thoroughly, but then there is the post-school lag of "what to do now". I've recently woken up out of that lag and am now a wholehearted, purpose-filled youth and I owe it all to God's direction, divine appointments, and my awakening desire to get involved with life.

This is my life's recently revised purpose:

I'm going to give God my plans and simply enjoy being one of "those youth" WITH a purpose. 

Here's what I've learned, though. At times, regardless of age, we can all be one of "those youth" the old man was speaking of. Often, we have no purpose. We think that the world will keep on spinning whether we are out doing something worth while, or sitting uselessly twiddling our thumbs, so what does it matter?  I did some self-reflecting recently with this in mind: life doesn't stop to take a beat for anybody. So the way I see it, you have two choices.
1. Let life pass you by, or 2. Hit the ground running and try to keep up. Choosing the latter, I know what I have to do. So here's the question: What's your purpose? Why do YOU wake up every day?
Friends, don't sit and twiddle your thumbs. If you don't feel like you have a purpose, it's probably because you're waiting for self empowerment. Look to God; keep searching with Him as your strength and purpose. You'll be surprised by what you find. 


Matthew 5:13-16

"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men."
14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."