Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Light Switch

In Him was life, and the life was the light of men." -John 1:4
 Do you ever walk into a dark and unfamiliar room and search  for the light switch, but to no avail?

                                                             ***


That's when I see it. I see it in a face. No... not "it", but "Him". I see Him.

When I see His face...My inner dark corner is suddenly illuminated; my eyes can see.
Ah...so there's the light switch. 

"Excuse me...Sir, do I know you?" I ask. He nods and answers me, His eyes smiling, "Yes, and I, you." 
I can't help but wonder how, for I know ...surely, that I've never seen this man before. 


But, I have seen this man before. 

I've seen Him in the face of pure and humble men, I've heard Him in my parent's prayers, and I've spent time with Him in His word...for He IS the Word. 

Yes....oh yes, I know Him.


Oscar Wilde said once, "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation". 

What if- who I was composed of was just one person? What if that person was Jesus? 

All who see me, talk to me, spend time with me, would they know Him, too? 

"I have come as a light into the world, that whoever
believes in me should not abide in darkness." -John 12:46
If then, when they saw Him and looked into His face, would they have to ask who He was if they had seen His face reflected in mine? 

No; They wouldn't have to live in a dark corner with their hands feeling the walls for the light switch, they would already know.


This is my prayer today-

Lord, help me to live in You, so that You can live in me. Change my heart and fill me with your love and light so that the only face they see when others look into mine, is Your's. Amen. 


I smile at the man, then; I am overjoyed. 
"You are Jesus." 
It isn't a question. 

He smiles, holds His nail-pierced hand out to me,
and bids me follow; I go. 


"Awake, you who sleep, 
Arise from the dead,
And Christ will give you light." 
Ephesians 5:14