Monday, August 4, 2014

For Dummies

Proverbs 8:17 
I love those that love me, and those who seek me diligently will find me.




I was at a garage sale the other day and in this lady's garage, on a table full of books, was a stack of 'How To's and 'For Dummies' books. I always find those funny, so I thumbed through them.

The stack of titles read a little something like this:


  • How to Get Divorced Successfully
  • How to Make a Souffle 
  • Religion For Dummies
  • Knitting For Dummies
  • How to Stop Smoking
  • How to Coupon
  • Finding Purpose For Dummies

I fought hard to suppress my laughter. After all, the elderly lady was standing a foot or two away to make sure I didn't steal anything and plus, I didn't want to be rude. 

What I found the most peculiar, (and I mean to tell you, I didn't mean to psychoanalyze her, but it happens sometimes...I can't help it) was the range of topics in that little stack. 

From marital struggles, to fiances, God complexes, drug abuse, and time filling, this lady had most probably (judging by the books....YES the covers) seen it all. 

Who knows what was really going on in her life, or what HAD gone on. Only God truly knows, but if there is one thing I do know, I didn't see the one book the owner of that stack should have had in her possession. 

Perhaps it was under her bed somewhere collecting dust. 
Maybe it was on her nightstand. 
Maybe she's up to date with the kids these days and has it on her phone. (Honestly, I would take the real deal over the app any day, but when I have to, that app is pretty nifty!) Who knows?

 God knows.

Personally, I hope she was selling those books because she had no need for them anymore, not because she'd read them cover to cover. 

My prayer:

May you never have need for any other book, or strength, or reason for existing than God's.  

Reason why? God's book, God's strength, and God's purpose for your life is FAR better than anything you'll find in between the cover page and the footnotes of a 'For Dummies' book.

 All that's required of you is faith, trust, and a seeking heart.

Sister and Levi